The Google Ads advertising network provides advertisers with a multitude of advertising formats. Formerly called Google Adwords, Google Ads stands out from the others governed by its inescapable character. Indeed, if an advertiser wishes to set up a Paid media strategy, he will surely go through Google Ads. We will focus in this article […]
The Google Ads advertising network provides advertisers with a multitude of advertising formats. Formerly called Google Adwords , Google Ads stands out from the others governed by its inescapable character.
Indeed, if an advertiser wishes to implement a strategy Paid media, it will surely go through Google Ads.
In this article, we will focus on understanding how advertising works on Google Ads and above all what benefits you can derive from it as an advertiser .
Understand Google Ads advertising in 2 minutes
Google Ads is one of the essential components of a good digital strategy . This tool allows you to ensure your visibility and control it through the dissemination of advertisements on strategic queries for your business.
Google Ads also allows you to fully control the message you want to send to your prospects.
Based on an auction system , Google Ads is a multi-channel network allowing advertisers to broadcast advertisements on several levers and in various locations:
- SEA : search results via text ads or shopping;
- the Display : via the GDN (Google Display Network) compose spaces made available by a massive network of publishers;
- YouTube : still via the GDN but also on the YouTube platform;
- Gmail ;
- Google maps ;
Why advertise on Google ads?
The fine targeting offered by Google Ads gives you access to a highly qualified audience .
Also, you can target and intervene at key moments in the purchasing process:
- Recognition of the problem : interest Internet users to discover your offer.
- Finding solutions : being present when looking for information.
- Evaluation of options : position yourself against the competition when the Internet user compares offers.
- Decision and act of purchase : convince the Internet user of your value proposition.
- Post-purchase : ensuring buyer satisfaction to build loyalty.
- Gain notoriety .
With Google Ads, you can also deploy campaigns of retargeting in order to retouch the important audiences of your site: your visitors, your abandoners and your buyers.
Finally, the performance of the campaigns is measurable in terms of distribution and especially ROI (return on investment) . Consultants can therefore adapt the device in real time to achieve better results.
SEARCH-Factory, agency Google Ads senior supports you in setting up the management and management of your Google Ads campaigns.
Google Ads advertising: the main channels
Advertise on the Google Search Network
- Pull Marketing : SEA is a Pull Marketing lever, this is its main advantage. You are responding to a prospect’s request, so it is easier to convince him than during Push Marketing actions.
- Text ad : It helps to highlight your selling points and briefly describe your value proposition . You are charged only if the user clicks on your ad and visits your site.
You are free to write ads, so you can communicate about the benefits of your products or services.
- Ad extensions: You can add extensions to your text ads to enrich them. You can use location extensions , sitelinks , callout extensions , site snippets , promotion extensions . All these extensions allow you to give more information to Internet users.
Advertise on Google Shopping
Advertisement Google Shopping Ads: a visual ad containing the essential information of your product inventory: product name, price, product visual, review and name of the merchant.
These ads allow you to be displayed at the very top of search results in a product carousel. They are particularly interesting if you have a more aggressive price positioning than your competitors.
They also allow you to display several shopping ads and a search ad for the same request.
Finally, these ads allow Internet users to better visualize your products and to have more information before clicking on one of your ads.
Advertise on YouTube
Here we will discuss the 4 main formats used to make advertising on youtube:
- Skippable Instream Ads : Ad video will be shown before YouTube videos. After five seconds of the ad, the Internet user can ignore or watch the rest.
- Skippable Instream Ads : The ad video will run before, during, or after other videos on YouTube. Non-skippable in-stream ads last up to 15 seconds and are useful if you want your target to see your entire message without skipping it.
- Video “Discovery” Ads : Your ad video will appear in YouTube search results, on the YouTube mobile homepage, and alongside related YouTube videos.
- Bumper Ads: these are short videos that allow advertisers to reach more customers and develop their brand awareness, using short and powerful messages with a strong impact. They last a maximum of 6 seconds and are broadcast before, during or after a video.
Google display advertising
With Google Ads, you therefore have the possibility of creating campagnes display with attractive formats allowing you to reach your traffic or conversion goals.
There are 2 approaches to reaching prospects, the User Centric approach or the Site Centric approach .
- The User Centric approach : this approach consists of targeting audiences, i.e. a particular category of Internet users based on centers of interest, habits, searches they carry out or behaviors on your site.
- The Site Centric approach : this approach consists of distributing on websites that can potentially be consulted by your prospects.
Google Ads offers targeting by “ locations ”: on specific sites. We can also target by “ theme ”: the partner sites are categorized according to different themes, just choose those corresponding to the interests of your prospects.
Specific advertising formats
- Discovery Ads : Discovery campaigns let you share your brand’s creative in a visually appealing way across popular Google placements. These ads thus help to arouse the interest of potential customers when they are ready to test new brands.
- Gmail ads : Ads Gmail Ads are email-like ads that appear in Gmail users’ inboxes. It is a graphic advertisement consisting of a visual, a description and an object as well as a call to action.
- Google Maps Ads : You may be visible in search results on Google Maps. All you have to do is link your Google Ads and My Business accounts . By activating location extensions, your business can be displayed as a sponsored link on Google Maps and thus be displayed above your competitors.
How to choose the type of Google advertising adapted to your activity?
Your business goals should drive the marketing goals that result in campaign goals.
Here are different types of campaign objectives :
- Generate sales and turnover.
- Generate leads that will be reworked by your salespeople.
- Generate traffic.
- Gain notoriety.
- Promote apps.
Your brand identity, your products or services and the structure of your site will shape the structure and type of campaign that is ideal and adapted to your business model . Your structure must be thought out by prioritizing the most important product universes for your commercial activity. The products contributing the most to your volume of business and your margin must be the first to be developed.
For example :
An E-Commerce advertiser with a deep catalog will be able to use Shopping ads and Search ads .
A travel industry player may use video ads to focus their message on the experience. A service provider may use Search and Google Maps .
A new market entrant will go through notoriety actions such as Display acquisition campaigns coupled with Search campaigns.
Best practices for creating a Google ad
Here we will cover the best practices to follow when creating your advertisements on Google Ads.
Define the marketing objectives of your Google advertising
A goal must meet specific criteria. To define your objectives, you can use the SMART method : Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time-bound.
For example, an e-merchant with a ROAS of 6 can set the following objective for his new agency: Achieve a ROAS of 8 after 6 months of collaboration .
For example, an advertiser could set a goal of increasing their Google Ads traffic by 15% by the end of the year.
Select the targets of your advertising campaign
Once you have set your goals, you need to know your audience and their intent . This will allow you to send the right message at the right time to the right person, with the aim of reaching new customers and generating new sales .
For this, you can use existing Web analytics solutions such as Google Analytics . This tool allows you to analyze the purchasing behavior of your visitors and to assess the Google audiences to which your visitors belong.
This information will allow you to optimize your ROI . You can also use lists of remarketing(RLSA). You will be more “catchy” with prospects who have already visited your site.
Achieve a competitive benchmark
You need to do a competitive benchmark in order to realize the competitive intensity of the forces present in your market.
You need to analyze your competitors : their positioning , the products on which they communicate, the additional services they offer and the prices they charge .
Next, you will need to thoroughly analyze your competitors’ Google Ads ads: are their ads relevant? Are ad extensions used? Are the landing pages qualitative? Are the targeted keywords precise and relevant to the proposed offer?
Define your Google Ads advertising budget
Once your competitive analysis has been established, you will be able to determine the competitive intensity of your market(s) and judge the maturity of your competitors .
The more competitive the market and the more mature your competitors, the higher the costs will be because the costs per click will be high .
You can use the Keyword Planner to get an estimate of CPCs .
You can then define a budget, you just need to multiply your average CPC by the volume of traffic you would like to reach.
We advise you to smooth your annual budget into a monthly budget , and to break it down according to your seasonality.
Select keywords for your Google advertising campaign
Once your budget is defined, you can build the structure of your campaigns and select your first keywords.
To do this, we invite you to put yourself in the shoes of your customers. You will need to list the important keywords for your products and your market.
To do this, you can use Google suggestions and the Keyword Planner.
Regarding the targeting criteria , we recommend using mainly and as a priority the targeting of the Exact keyword and Exact expression type . They offer better control over your distribution, you will also gain in precision and as well as in quality of distribution and traffic .
Create a perfect landing page
Once the Internet user clicks on your ad, you have to convince him to convert him into a customer. Landing pages are very effective tools to achieve this result.
Landing pages include content optimized for conversion , so they meet the following criteria:
- be charged quickly ;
- get to the point : remove menus and elements that distract Internet users from the expected result;
- include elements of reinsurance ;
- put forward clear and effective calls to action ;
- the content must be relevant, and the Internet user must find the keywords that have brought him so far to the landing page.
Tutorial: How to create a Google Ads advertising campaign?
The method of creating campaigns differs depending on the type of campaign. However, most of the time, the following steps must be followed:
- Connect and set up Google Ads : fill in addresses, billing information, add people who need access to the account.
This step is essential because it allows you to assess the results and impact of the marketing actions undertaken via Google Ads.
- Create a campaign : select a type of campaign (Search, Shopping, Sisplay or Video, etc.) We recommend not selecting a campaign objective.
- Give a name to your Ads campaign: Create a precise nomenclature in the name of your campaigns to easily find your way around.
- Select the broadcast network : Search or Display . Select only one broadcast network per campaign.
- Select a region : Determine the countries or regions in which you want your ads to appear.
- Languages : add the languages of the browsers in which your ads will appear.
Our advice: target all languages.
- Audience : Add the audiences you want to show your ads to.
Our advice: add observation audiences, then you can apply bid adjustments.
- Budget : fill in your budget, opt for a daily budget.
- Bid strategy : Set the bid strategy for your campaign. At Search-factory, we mainly use manual bidding . We thus retain greater control in the management of bids and the budget. However, we regularly test more automated bid strategies.
- Create ad groups : add your ad groups that will contain your keywords and ads.
- Keywords : Add your keywords to your ad groups, focusing on Exact Keyword and Exact Phrase targeting.
- Writing ads : your impactful and differentiating ads . Be sure to maintain strong relevance between ad, landing page, and keyword associations.
- Ad Extension : Create ad extensions to add to your campaigns. Be sure to create all types of extensions compatible with your activity.